Go To The Walt Disney World Official Site

The Walt Disney World Railroad is probably the best known and most traveled theme park railway in the world. The 1.5 mile loop circles the Magic Kingdom for a 20 minute round trip with stops at Main Street, Frontierland and Toon Town stations.

Currently the Toon Town station is closed as Mickey's Toon Town is being transformed into a part of Fantasyland, but it is still a stop for the trains as a place to take on water.

The line features a unique swing bridge to span the waterway allow boats from the Rivers of America to access the dry-dock on Bay Lake.



One of the park's most visible and photographed features is the station at Main Street U.S.A, which guests have to pass under as they enter the park. The station is an elaborate Victorian style structure with lavish period details to create the turn of the century feeling of Main Street.


Frontierland station was originally a small station midway between Adventureland and Frontierland, located at approximately the same level as the surrounding pathways. With the addition of Splash Mountain, the original station was removed and the new Frontierland Station was built into the facade of Splash Mountain.  The new station features a raised platform above the queue area for the Splash Mountain flume.

Named for Walt Disney, this 4-6-0 ten wheeler was built in 1925 by Baldwin. The engine is the twin to #3 "Roger Broggie" and originally ran on the originally ran on the Yucatan peninsula before coming to Orlando in 1969 where it was restored and converted to oil burning for the park. The train for the Walter E. Disney is typically the red 100 series coaches.




Named for Walt Disney's wife Lillian, the engine is a 2-6-0 mogul built by Baldwin in 1928 (the same year that Mickey Mouse made his debut). Lilly Belle has been retired from day to day passenger service due to frame issues and has been made the show train. The green 200  series coaches designed for use with the Lilly Belle are used most mornings for the opening ceremonies since the 3 center coaches have open sides on the left side of the train, allowing the characters to get off the train on the non-platform side.

Named for the Imagineer who worked with Walt Disney on his backyard live steam railway, and helped acquire the engines for Walt Disney World as well as being one of the chief designers of EPCOT. The engine is a 4-6-0 Baldwin built in 1925 which originally ran on the Yucatan peninsula before coming to Orlando in 1969 where it was restored and converted to oil burning for the park. The Roger Broggie typically runs with the yellow 300 series coaches.


Named for Walt Disney's brother who oversaw construction of Walt Disney World after Walt's death, it is the oldest of the WDW engines built in 1916 and is a 4-4-0. The engine was not ready for the park's opening day in 1971 and was not ready to run until December when it was named after Roy. Like the other engines it originally ran on the Yucatan peninsula before coming to Orlando in 1969 where it was rebuilt and converted to oil burning for use in the Magic Kingdom. The Roy O. Disney typically runs with the blue 400 series coaches.
One of the short lived attractions of Walt Disney World in the early 1970's was the Fort Wilderness Rail Road. The small engines and trains circled Fort Wilderness as a means of transportation for campers. The engines proved too small and light and the line was removed in the late 1970's.  Two of the cars now serve as ticket booths for Pleasure Island.

The Wildlife Express is part of the fictional Eastern Star Railway, running from Lusaka to Nairobi and Kisangani. There are three diesel-hydraulic, steam outline locomotives, custom built for the park by Severn Lamb in 1997. They have a wheel configuration of 2-4-2, and their numbers are 2594, 4982 and 174. The railway is built to a gauge of 3' 4". There are two sets of 5 coaches forming the passenger rolling stock. These sets include a series of bins on the top of the train that simulate cargo that passengers are taking with them. One set of coaches has these bins green and the other red. This is away for easy identification between trains.

The Harambe Station is located inside the theme park's African section and is where guests board to go to the remote Conservation Station.
The second station is at the Conservation Station which is the far outpost of the park with the animal care center and petting zoo.
The train features a minimum of scenery with the cars facing outward along the track. Aside from backstage animal care facilities, there are a couple of huts along the wooded tracks.
#2594 is the red locomotive. Some of the great details of this engine are the builder's plate from Beyer Peacock, the premier builder of locomotives for the United Kingdom and the colonies around the world that were part of the British Empire.  Also the name "Baba Harpoor" on the engine is a nod to Bob Harpur who was instrumental in the restoration of Walt Disney World's four steam engines for the Magic Kingdom.
#4982 is the green locomotive with the bicycle attached to the running board in front of the pannier tanks.

 Go To The Walt Disney World Official Site